During the first ten years, many new designs were quickly implemented. The following paragraphs provide a summary of some of this period's highlights.
Spring 1935 saw the birth of the the Gö-1 "Wolf" in the municipal building yard of the southern German town of Göppingen, where Martin Schempp and Wolf Hirth founded the company "Sportflugzeugbau Göppingen" (Sport Aircraft Göppingen), which would later become Schempp-Hirth. The "Wolf" was the company's first glider and was designed by Wolf Hirth and Reinhold Seeger.
The first "Wolf" was acquired by the National Aviation Display Ltd. and aerotown directly to London by the renown female English glider pilot Joan Meakin.
Wolf Hirth's design Gö-1 "Wolf" started Martin-Schempp's career as aircraft builder. The "Wolf" as a robust glider approved for aerobatics found many friends around the world and more than a hundred of it were built.
What made the "Wolf" special at its time were it's ailerons, which increased the wing depth in the central wing section providing high maneuverability without much increase of an aileron-induced yawing moment. Another novelty was the built-in main undercarriage, which was more robust than then usual skid and simplified ground movements and take-off.
Right after finishing the Gö-1 "Wolf" at the end of 1935, Wolf Hirth and Reinhold Seeger started their second new glider design. They were under a lot of pressure to finish the Gö-3 "Minimoa' in time to compete at the Rhön Gliding Competition in summer.
The bent, bird-like wing shape designed by Dr. Wenk provided the glider with its characteristic silhouette, which would later become the center of the company's logo. The bend and the resulting arrow-shape was to provide excellent direction and longitude stability for cloud flying. It was the first glider that allowed the adding of water ballast to improve performance at higher speed.
Creating the wing in the short time given was stressful, but the first prototype could be finished just in time one week before the start of the competition.
The Minimoa became the World's first high-performance glider that was build in a series of more than 100 numbers.
In the autumn of 1937, a two-seater went for its maiden flight. The Gö-4 had been specifically designed as a trainer. While the Gö-2 still had the disadvantage of both seats behind each other, the Gö-4 positioned trainee and trainer side by side - pedagogically optimized
To still keep the fuselage as narrow as possible, one shoulder and one arm of each pilot were placed inside the wing root, which brought the fuselage width down to only 92 cm (36 "). This detail was based on designs by Ulrich and Wolfgang Hütter.
By now, the company ran out of space in Göppingen and the Gö-4's serial production started in the new (and current) company location in Kirchheim/Teck.